Qac minutes

From ويكي عربآيز
Jump to: navigation, search

This page holds the meetings minutes for the ["QAC"]. The meetings agendas are available in QacAgenda.

April 28, 2005 (Thursday)

Place: irc.freenode.net #ae-qac BR Time: 1900 UTC BR

  • Participants:
  • AbdulazizAlarfaj (Driver)
  • Ossama Khayat
  • AymanHourieh
  • TODO/Action-Item Status
  • [Apr 22] OssamaKhayat to continue overhauling QAC pages on wiki
  • => Postponed by Ossama [May 6]
  • [Apr 22] ALL to make a proposal for a new plural header to cover ALL possible cases (n == 0, n == 1, n ==2, n > 2 etc...
  • Abdulaziz came up with 6 cases. Ossama and Ayman both got 7
  • Ayman notes http://www.aymanh.com/tmp/plural.txt
  • All are in agreement over most forms, and over the need to add handling for n == 0
  • The almost impossible cases to handle are 101, 102, 201, 202, 1001, 1002 etc...
  • Ayman notes: (%n / 10 * 10) o kitta as a way to say 101 cats, but thats not possible in a PO file
  • Nonetheless, the form proposed by Ayman is accepted until we can find a method to handle the last case by scripting
  • How to REALLY revive QAC
  • Abdulaziz notes things seem to be going well so far
  • Ossama notes the need to support new translators
  • Abdulaziz says that should be the duty of individual project maintainers
  • Ossama suggests a monthly 1-2 hour training for translators for example
  • Abdulaziz thought about having all translation veterans give each new translator an intensive once-over course
  • Ossama notes he can have a presentation made for these suggestions
  • Abdulaziz wants to just expand the already existing translation guide
  • Ossama says that only contains tools and HOWTOs, and he wants something for methods and rationale
  • Abdulaziz counters saying it does contain that too
  • Ayman notes he found the Translator Guide sufficient when he started out
  • Ossama agrees to make small updates to the Translator Guide for the time being
  • => Abdulaziz and Ossama to make updates as needed to the Translator Guide [May 13]

April 14, 2005 (Thusday)

Place: irc.freenode.net #ae-qac BR Time: 1900 UTC BR

  • Participants:
  • AbdulazizAlarfaj (Driver)
  • Ossama Khayat
  • NadimShaikli
  • TODO/Action-Item Status
  • [XXX xx] AbdulazizAlarfaj to recruit and welcome QAC members
  • Three members recruited. (ArafatMedini, AymanHourieh, OssamaKhayat)
  • [XXX xx] AbdulazizAlarfaj to overhaul QAC pages on wiki
  • Abdulaziz notes this is done no his part
  • Abdulaziz asks Ossama to take a look at the pages and see what he can contribute
  • Abdulaziz notes CategoryQac as an index
  • Ossama agrees
  • => [Apr 22] OssamaKhayat to continue overhauling QAC pages on wiki
  • [XXX xx] AbdulazizAlarfaj to redirect newbie translators to OOo translation
  • So far so good
  • Abdulaziz asks Ossama if he still needs help (Ossama says yes)
  • Nadim adds "This is only until the registration reply mechanism is up"
  • Abdulaziz agrees
  • Abdulaziz will continue to redirect new translators to Ossama without the need to note this
  • Item removed
  • Deciding and settling on a PERMANENT meeting time for the QAC
  • Abdulaziz asks Ossama if the current time is okay or whether he preferred Mondays
  • Ossama says he actually prefers Thursdays or Fridays (his weekend)
  • Abdulaziz also favours Friday (weekend or weekend fringe for everybody)
  • Friday 1800 agreed upon between Abdulaziz and Ossama, pending input from others
  • Technical dictionary work plan
  • Script needs debugging (see list2po script under scripts on CVS)
  • Nadim demands test cases so he can fix it
  • Abdulaziz agrees to work with Nadim in the coming days to stamp this issue out
  • Nadim stresses the need that getting people involved is essential at this time
  • Ossama asks who will be adding words to the dictionary, Abdulaziz answers: Everybody, the universe
  • New plural header
  • Investigation has shown 4 plural forms are not enough
  • Many factors must be taken into account, especially that numbers should be read RTL
  • Abdulaziz explains that the current pluralization scheme we use in our translations is wrong
  • Abdulaziz notes as an example the cases of 101 and 102. These are covered by the > 10 rule, which is inaccurate
  • Ossama is not convinced
  • Abdulaziz drops as another example that the case of zero is not even covered at all
  • Ossama agrees
  • Abdulaziz is frustrated and complains that he made a proposal for a remedy in the past, which a lot of people objected to, but none of them bothered to offer an alternative
  • Abdulaziz suggests that every QAC member come up with his proposal and bring it with him to the next meeting
  • => [Apr 22] ALL to make a proposal for a new plural header to cover ALL possible cases (n == 0, n == 1, n ==2, n > 2 && n < 11, etc...)
  • How to REALLY revive QAC
  • Abdulaziz suggests this topic is best discussed when more attendees are present
  • Ossama agrees
  • Item kept


June 9, 2004 (Wednesday)

Place: irc.freenode.net #ae-qac BR Time: 0600 UTC BR

  • Participants:
  • OssamaKhayat
  • MohammedElzubeir
  • ArafatMedini
  • NadimShaikli
  • QAC Memberships and Roles
  • No one has read the QacRoles proposal
  • => EVERYONE read and prepare to discuss the proposal (ASAP)
  • Review Moayyad's lingual document (after discussion on the 'doc' mailing-list)
  • The document can be seen here
  • ArafatMedini says he does not accept it as is
  • MohammedElzubeir asks if anyone has been able to see Chaddad's amendments to the document
  • No one has seen it.
  • MohammedElzubeir suggests that everyone can agree with the document without controversial parts
  • ArafatMedini expresses concern that such a document can become larger and larger
  • MohammedElzubeir explains that it merely set some guidelines to the common Arabic mistakes
  • ArafatMedini is not agains the document (convinced!) but is for tailoring it
  • MohammedElzubeir recommends ArafatMedini to "tailor" it
  • OssamaKhayat suggests someone neutral instead or the author himself
  • MohammedElzubeir proposes a compromise after some discussions that Moayyad is asked to modify and then re-propose it to ["QAC"]
  • => OssamaKhayat to ask Moayyad on the 'doc' list to modify document (Due: June 9, 2004)
  • Common words list - again
  • NadimShaikli asks if all people are expected to work on the list or just a select few?
  • ArafatMedini favors freezing everything in a "do or die" style until it is finished
  • Everyone agrees that only QacMembers should be working on the common words list
  • MohammedElzubeir proposes those who are tasked with the list should not work on anything else
  • NadimShaikli concurs
  • It is agreed that this would go on for 2 weeks and to be extended depending on the amount of work done
  • After much debate it is agreed to break the file into 10 files of approx 3,000 strings/file
  • Each QacMember is to comment on each term they review
  • OssamaKhayat says he really hates adding comments to each term (comments which indicate the person has reviewed the word)
  • Everyone agrees (after much debate)
  • MohammedElzubeir recommends moving the files from misc/ into something more fitting
  • NadimShaikli suggests qac_terms_#
  • => NadimShaikli to split the files (Due: ASAP)
  • => MohammedElzubeir to place them somewhere other than misc/ (Due: Pending above item)


April 27, 2004 (Tuesday)

Place: irc.freenode.net #ae-qac BR Time: 0600 UTC BR

  • Participants:
  • OssamaKhayat
  • YoucefRabahRahal
  • AhmadZawawi
  • AbdulazizAlarfaj
  • MohammedElzubeir
  • TODO Items
  • (./) MohammedElzubeir to update the QacDecisions with the above as well as the Documentation Standards.
  • (./) OssamaKhayat to shame those who did not attend meeting on doc mailing-list.
  • (./) ArafatMedini to oversee the revival of the common words list
  • QAC Memberships and Roles
  • Review of current members and their roles
  • => AbulazizAlafraj to create QacMembers and QacRoles where members can brainstorm ideas
  • Common Words list (progress report)
  • Skipped due to absence of ArafatMedini

April 17, 2004 (Saturday)

Place: irc.freenode.net #ae-qac BR Time: 0600 UTC BR

  • Participants:
  • OssamaKhayat
  • ArafatMedini
  • MohammedElzubeir
  • Progress report
  • (./) What has ["QAC"] done so far?
  • Opinions have been conslidated in QacDiscussions
  • Issues are outlined and organized
  • Common terms has seen no progress, due to problems in .po files of Gnome & openoffice.org projects
  • Emphasise on roles and responsibilities of each member
  • Skipped due to low attendence
  • Common terms list
  • ArafatMedini noted he'll look into the Gnome PO files problem and fix it
  • Review of QacDiscussions
  • Decisions taken are as follows:
  • Shadda is mandatory
  • Harakat only mandatory if the word could have multiple meanings without their use
  • Noun vs. Imperative Form: If the user is the one expecting feedback from the system, it should be in noun form. If the system is instructing the user to provide input, then it should be in imperative form..
  • City and Foreign Person names should be translated as commonly known (referenced against, QamMoose and others to be enumerated by OssamaKhayat). If they are not available then they are transliterated and inputted into QaMoose.
  • Abbreviations (acronyms) should be transcribed in their Latin form (using English characters), but their translated antonyms could be added between parenthesis for clarification.
  • Product names should always be transliterated in Arabic characters. This is regardless of whether they are an acronym or an abbreviation.
  • => (./) MohammedElzubeir to update the QacDecisions with the above as well as the Documentation Standards.
  • => (./) OssamaKhayat to shame those who did not attend meeting on doc mailing-list.
  • => ArafatMedini to oversee the revival of the common terms list


January 22, 2004 (Thursday)

Place: irc.freenode.net #ae-qac BR Time: 1800 UTC BR

  • Participants: BR
  • OssamaKhayat
  • YoucefRabahRahal
  • AhmadAlTwaijri
  • ArafatMedini (late 15 mins)
  • AhmadZawawi (late 25 mins)
  • NadimShaikli

1. Attendees agreed on QAC (Quality Assurance Committee) as a name. 2. Main members of the committee are currently those who attended the meeting (except NadimShaikli, as he was helping out). 3. Technical word list (names common_terms) will be (is) created by NadimShaikli and ready for members'r eview. (https://gitlab.com/arabeyes-i18n/misc/tree/master/common_terms.po) 4. Members are to review 50 words per week from the common_terms.po, and provide any feedback on the 'doc' list. 5. 2 translations will be accepted (3 maybe). 6. No additions will be made (for now). 7. A monthly IRC session is to be setup to touch-base. 8. Initial group of words to be discussed on doc, then IRC if needed.

Some of the points of the previous agenda were not discusses as the main focus was on the creation of the committee and main tasks. Please, provide your feedback and/or any corrections and/or additions.


CategoryQac