The Arabic technical dictionary aims to translate and standardise technical terms that are used in software translation. It is an effort to unify the terms used across all projects and to present the user with consistant and understandable interfaces.
It is highly recommended that you contribute even if you do not have high bilingual or technical skills. We mainly translate for non technical people, so your opinion as feedback is highly valued.
Native english speakers are also welcome: you can explain the origin of the word and rule out unsuitable equivalents that don't convey the right meaning.
Learn more about the OSS community.
An offline version of this technical dictionary is available: Download technical dictionary.
Suggestions and discussion
- Every term has two pages, the first is the main page (e.g. techdict:Abort) and the second is the discussion page (e.g. techdict talk:Abort).
- To suggest a translation for some term, click on the icon in the discussion page and write your suggestions in the suggestions section. You can vote by using the icon and stress your refusal to a translation with another icon, but this is discouraged.
- Use the discussion page to discuss the suggested terms and justify your choices. You can add your signature from the editor toolbox.
- When the voting leads to a clear agreement on some term, it is possible to change the main page as follows:
|الاسم = مصطلح
There are some pages that unfortunately do not follow this norm. You are welcome to change the typos that you may come across.
- It is important to categorize the terms, please read lexicons for more information.
Adding a new term
Terms can be added from the form located in the top left of this page. Save the newly created without modifying it. Add these two lines with your suggestions and comments.
Deleting a term
- It is possible to request the deletion of a term by using the following template while mentioning the reason.
- You can add suggestions from other sources such as the Arabization Coordination Bureau by using the اقتراحات خارجية template
Use the references from the main page of the term to look up suggestions. These are added for comparing with other sources.
- يستحب أن تشترك (عبر الزر Register).
- يمكنك طرح أي سؤال عبر صفحة نقاش هذا المقال.
- You must be registered (using the Register button)
- You may ask any question through the talk page.
- Translate in indefinite form (نكرة)
- Respect the spelling rules for Hamza (ء).
- Translate English verbs to the noun form (مصدر) (e.g. create = إنشاء).
- Ensure a correct understanding of computing terms using reliable and updated sources such as Wikipedia or foldoc
- One-to-one translations:
Any compound term should be translated based on the terms it is derived from.
Respect popular translations: Arabization Coordination Bureau Dictionary
- Create terms that are precise, clear, short, easy to derive and eloquent by thoroughly researching the terms